To work legally in Canada, you will be needing authorization from the Canadian government called a Work Permit.
On another hand, over 200,000 foreign skilled workers are given employment on Temporary Work Permits Yearly, and finding a work permit can be an onerous process, it involves finding a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) through Employment and Social Development Canada.(ESDC)
It is a must to comprehend the procedure when applying for a work permit and to be eligible, you’ll want a valid job offer from the Canadian employer, who’ll ensure a confident LMIA.
With regards to the foreign worker’s country of origin, a Temporary Resident Visa must certainly be obtained to be able to enter Canada.
Steps to Get A Canadian Work Permit
1. Confirm Your Eligibility
To manage to work in Canada as a foreigner, you have to satisfy some basic requirements, such as example:
- Haven’t any criminal records
- Proof funds to cater for your requirements in Canada
- Not posing a protection or health threat
- Not about to work for an ineligible employer
- Qualified for the career
2. Get A Job Offer and Positive LMIA
The first faltering step to getting a work permit is for a job offer from the Canadian employer, thereafter the Canadian employer might need to apply for a confident Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) by ESDC, this really is to ensure there’s no Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident readily available for the exact same job.
A work permit might be issued without LMIA Under certain circumstances such as for example:
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA): Workers under NAFTA program are LMIA-exempt, however, the provisions governing temporary work in Canada is binding
- If the type of the job is religious and or charitable
- International students studying in Canada can fulfill academic requirements called co-op placements
- If the work activity brings significant, social, or cultural benefits to Canadians
3. Start The Online Application
Ensure you have a top-quality scan of all necessary documents you have to get a Canadian work permit. You should provide these:
- A valid passport
- Two passport-size photos
- Your job offer letter
- proof you’re qualified for the job
- A Certificat D’Acceptation du Quebec, if your job is in Quebec
Note: Visit the official Canada government to start your application process. Your individual information, passport information, and the job information given by your employer.
4. Pay The Application Fees Online
You’re required to pay for the application, processing, and biometrics fees. The biometrics and application fees might be paid via a separate online form Here
5. Complete Your Biometrics At An Approved Visa Application Centre
Fingerprints and an electronic digital photo is needed for identification for visa applicants from Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. Make an appointment with an authorized Visa Application Centre. See the total set of approved visa application centres
Note: The foreign worker will undoubtedly be issued a Temporary Work Permit at the idea of entry by way of a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) once the worker arrives in Canada.
The Temporary Work Permit while the name implies is for a small time period, however, obtaining a temporary work permit is just a stepping stone to becoming a lasting resident in Canada. A foreign worker on a temporary work permit may qualify for permanent residency underneath the following immigration streams:
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC) or through
- Provincial Nominee Programs.
Basic Work In Canada Facts
- A job offer can be quite a prerequisite to getting a work permit
- Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued by the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) is just a requirement indicating that the proposed employment won’t displace Canadian workers
- Work permits are temporary but may be extended in Canada